Saturday 21 June 2014


When heartbreaks in so many pieces that it’s impossible to collect, crying helps a lot….!!
She speaks something outside the ac coupe, I went to the door.
“Blackberries Madam? Ten Rupees per packet”, eyes of expectation.
“Do you have father? What does your father do?”
“Nothing sleeps at home!”
Too drunk to work? Disease eroding inside?? No. I didn't ask, didn't want to know. I dared not.
“So you don’t go to school?”
Thousand watts lit up her eyes “I did! I can write my name”. Pride percolates, the little eyes.
“Take it”.
Light dims. “Give me Ten Rupees madam. I don’t have change”.
“Keep it..!!”.
Disbelief reaches the eyes, breaks in an imperceptible smile. So many expressions, such young eyes. Hazed smile. Hazed in ataraxy. She hurries away.
I rushed to hide.I am a strong woman. I don’t cry. At least in front of everyone....
Under Indian Act No.61, 1986 child labour is prohibited and can fetch imprisonment to the employer. Official figure says there are 12 million child labour in India, but NGOs reckons the real figure to be 60 million......!!
She sells black berries. Her tired eyes look on but devoid interest. Her light copper brown hair almost matches her yellow dress. Hair of malnutrition. Where is solution?? 
Show less

No comments:

Post a Comment